Google
 

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Are You Depressed?

Identifying the symptoms of depression can be a useful first step toward gaining a deeper understanding of how depression, bipolar disorder, or the long-lasting low-level depression called dysthymia (pronounced dis-THIGH-me-a) affects you. It may help you open a discussion with a doctor or therapist, too.
Be aware, however, that self-tests like this one cannot diagnose depression or any other mental illness. Even if they could, it’s easy to dismiss or overlook symptoms in yourself. It may help to have a friend or relative go over this checklist with you. Also, remember that your feelings count far more than the number of check marks you make. If you think you are depressed or if you have other concerns or questions after taking this test, talk with your doctor or therapist.
Depression Checklist
Start by checking off any symptoms of depression that you have had for two weeks or longer. Focus on symptoms that have been present almost every day for most of the day. (The exception is the item regarding thoughts of suicide or suicide attempts. A check mark there warrants an immediate call to the doctor.) Then look at the key that follows the list.
  • I feel sad or irritable.
  • I have lost interest in activities I used to enjoy.
  • I’m eating much less than I usually do and have lost weight, or
  • I’m eating much more than I usually do and have gained weight.
  • I am sleeping much less or more than I usually do.
  • I have no energy or feel tired much of the time.
  • I feel anxious and can’t seem to sit still.
  • I feel guilty or worthless.
  • I have trouble concentrating or find it hard to make decisions.
  • I have recurring thoughts about death or suicide, I have a suicide plan, or I have tried to commit suicide.
Now think about other symptoms you have noticed during this time:
  • I feel hopeless.
  • I have lost interest in sex, including fantasies.
  • I have headaches, aches and pains, digestive troubles, or other physical symptoms.
Scoring the Test
If you checked a total of five or more statements on the depression checklist, including at least one of the first two statements, you may be suffering from an episode of major depression. If you checked fewer statements, including at least one of the first two statements, you may be suffering from a milder form of depression or dysthymia. Either way, your doctor may be able to recommend treatments to help.